A Repainted Faith

Chaising God

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Whats love does.


Proverbs 10:12 "Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all transgressions”



What does love do? Thats the question that I have been struggling with lately. and further more what is love? When I was ask to speak I had an idea of what I wanted to say, But it turns out it wasn' t anything near what I was suppose to talk about.So first what exactly is love? Its a strange concept isn't it? We use the word alot I have noticed for things (I love cheese burgers or I love to work out ) But do you ever really think of the meaning and do those statements really deserve that verb? I looked up the definition of love (dictionary) and this is what it said love- an unselfish loyalty or a benevolent concern for others. A passion or tendrness for. to take pleasure in.and one word I want to add to the definition is sacrifice.It seems like a valid definition for the word right? But what and how is this something that relates to God. but I think that we try to look at God through our own definition of the word. We always hear that God loves us and that famously repeated for God so loved the world. but What does that mean?
God love is a strange thing when compared to the kind of love we are use to. I mean growing up I knew my parents “loved” me and would do anything for me but I Think I have often wondered how far their love for me went. Was there anything I could do to make them stop caring for me and wishing for my best? Was there any way I could mess things up and have them never want to speak to me again? And trust me you name it and I pretty much did it and got the T-shirt, so I probably tested their defintion of love on more than one occasion. And I am sure that a lot of you can relate. Something happened the older I got though I started to realize that no matter how hard I tried (although unintentionally) to mess my relationship with my parents they still loved me. So is Gods love really that much different? I think its very similar to the love of a parent but a great deal bigger. What lead me to this was that One sunday morning during praise and worship I was trying my absolute best. trying to show up cause God was already there. And my eyes where shut tight and I was concentrating on God and its like I was standing in epmtyness.And at first it was very troubleing then I remember thinking God what is this and he simply said I am this Vast. I was and still am speechless. So lets Go back to the initial question of What does love do? The connection that I finally got or he finally got through to me was He is love and his love is vast, far more vast than I could imagine. Its like he covers us in his love and all the things that we have done all the times we have wronged him and hurt him he still extends his hands too us. It’s a powerful thing. Only for us to hurt him more. Why does he do this? Gods love is unselfish even when we are selfish, it comes with no strings attached and the most amazing thing is that he gives it to us freely. God in his very nature is Love in all its truth and glory. So if God is love, then he is giving HIMSELF freely to us and all we have to do is accept it. You may be sitting here tonight and maybe you have wronged him and you can feel his spirit pullling on you saying its ok I still love you and always have. And I can just imagine the thought process cause I have been there you think is this thing for real? Cause I want it to be so real. This love with no strings attached how can it be when I am such an unlovable creature. Can I change the way I am?

love doesnt say change and come to me love says come to me as you are and ill change you.So what does love do. It covers you, it changes you, it humbles you, it loves you. The bible from cover to cover says one coherent message " I Love You " and thats it. its elagant and it is simple. I said earlier that I had an idea what I wanted to say tonight I brought it to God and he said " Tell them I love them" . and that is what this whole thing is about this whole christianity thing, the whole message of Jesus. thats what it is about. God loves you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Travis,

Sorry that it has taken so long to respond. If you would like, we can talk more about this in our group on Thursday. Today is the first time I have blogged since I left the last comment on your previous post.

You articulated it clearly and powerfully. I envy your insightfulness and clarity. God bless; look forward to hearing from you again.

Peace.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Travis said...

How can One who knows us so intimately, love us so deeply? I Like that thought pastor Stan. because it rings so true. How can one who knows us so intimately love us so deeply. What A thought....

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home