A Repainted Faith

Chaising God

Friday, February 17, 2006

How can One who knows us so intimately, love us so deeply?
as Pastor Stan said in a comment to one of the blog entries. This a very perplexing thing to think about. How can God know all our secrets and were all our treasures are hidden( or what we treasure) and still love us? Its a hard thing to even try and get a grasp on and maybe we can't grasp it. I don't really think that we care for and love people in that same way. I mean myself personally I would like to think I try but fall very very short all the time. The Bible says that "He created man in His image" so I can see the family resemblance and I know the potential to love to that degree Is there but, not by our own means. To me its like a machine thats missing an integral part like a gear, it can function ok, but its designer intended it to do something far greater. There have been several situations in which I had the oppritunity to just love someone that was unloveable, but it seems like when those times occur I choose the easy way out and don't love them like I know I should. I think it is a process though and what I mean by that is that the potential is there for the kind of love that he loves us with but we have to seek it.
A friend who has commented on the blog before (Enock) said something the other day that really got me to thinking. He said that instead of saying WWJD we should be asking what is Jesus doing, which implies the here and now. It is a very powerful statement. So when the question is applied to our Situations be they individual or community it becomes so Relevant. What is he doing?
I said earlier that the potential for us to love is there, let me elaborate a little bit. love is something that God gives us freely and with no strings attatched. So can you think of all the stuff in your life that you screwed up on and all the things that you hide from other people for fear that they will not like you any more, you take that stuff and put it together and then think of the worst time you ever double crossed someone (maybe a friend) or maybe you were double crossed, but do you remember what it felt like during those times? We do this to God almost all the time... think about that for a minute or two or three.
the amazing part about it though is God doesn't stop loving us because we do stupid things or hurt him. everytime we hurt him he just opens himself up for more. Thats what Jesus did, when he was being beaten and cut and nailed to a cross he had all power at his very whisper, he could have stopped all of it in a micro second. but he didn't. He loved those who where mocking him and those who where beating him when they were the most unlovable that they could be. He gave his very life so that they could know Him and love like he loves. and again no strings attatched. Its the most beautiful expression of love any one has ever given. So what does that have to do with our potential for love? Love is a choice. He chooses to love so we can make the same choice through him.... through he who is our strength and know our heart.
Lord Jesus set us on fire for you, and teach us to love others as you love us.
Let us freely give what we freely recieve from you with no strings attatched, so that we may show others you through that love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Jesus is our example of how to live and the most quintessential example is in the cross.

Let me borrow from Miroslav Volf:
"God does not abandon the godless to their eivl but gives the divine self for them in order to receive them into divine communion through atonement, so also should we--whoever our enemies and whoever we may be."

But, there is a scandal involved here because what if the person we love or give ourselves to does not handle us with care much less appreciation?

"The ultimate scandal of the cross is the all too frequent failure of self-donation to bear positive fruit: you give yourself for the other--and violence does not stop but destroys you; you sacrifice your life--and stabilize the power of the perpetrator."

But, even this scandal does not prevent Jesus. The scandal of giving yourself away and being spit on does not appeal to me. I admit that I am guarded against getting taken advantage of or exploited. And, it is this guardedness that prevents me from giving myself in situations. But, this is love; this is caring. It costs so much. Lord, help me to give it all.

God calls us to embrace as He has embraced us. The "will to embrace" precedes any judgments about the other person--that is, whether or not they deserve it or how they will respond to it.

I don't understand how I can give this much. But, I know that this is what I am called to.

God's love is a lot like God. God does not exist to make us happy or to make us feel good. God just exists. His word to Moses and the Israelites in Egypt is that "I AM."

God does not exist for us. Now, He is working on our behalf, but ultimately, God does not exist to make us happy, to give us prosperity and blessings, to heal us or even to save us. God just is. He is simply and finally, the I AM. And, the same is true of God's love. It just is, whether it is reciprocated or not.

So, what is Jesus doing? He is loving and caring. I think that is what He is calling us to as well. The only thing I can think to do is die, to die with Christ.

I think that you are going the right direction with this. Keep it up.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home